Highlights / General details
There are aquariums—and then there’s the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Located on Monterey’s historic Cannery Row and overlooking the vast national marine sanctuary it explores, this jewel of California’s scenic central coast was named the Best Aquarium in the World by TripAdvisor®—the world’s largest travel site—in its 2014 Travelers’ Choice™ awards. Its spectacular living exhibits explore the diverse habitats of one of the world’s richest marine regions, and well beyond, too.
Open in 2016: Explore the wild coast of Baja California. Our next special
exhibition showcases the unique community that thrives where Baja’s coastal
deserts meet the Pacific’s sapphire seas. Discover the extraordinary creatures
living in sun-scorched deserts, lush mangrove forests and vibrant coral reefs.
Learn how we’re protecting the future of this special place.
1. Visit The Open Sea.Meet amazing animals that make epic migrations across the Pacific. Experience a million-gallon indoor ocean, home to sharks, sea turtles, tunas and more. Live exhibits and multimedia experiences connect you with delicate jellies, seabirds and other ocean animals.
2. Tentacles. Secretive, short-lived masters of camouflage are cast in our newest one of-kind special exhibition showcasing octopuses, squid and cuttlefishes.
3. Step onto The Ocean’s Edge. Encounter giant Pacific octopus, large sharks and schooling fishes, shorebirds in a walk-through aviary, a wave crash tunnel and touch pools galore. The lively exhibits incorporate hands-on approaches and important conservation themes, told in engaging and exciting ways.
4. See the Kelp Forest. Immerse yourself in the first and largest living kelp forest created at any aquarium. It’s a magical place of sunlight and sea life. The towering two-story Kelp Forest is filled with fishes, marine plants and invertebrates.
5. Watch the sea otters frolic. Our exhibit otters were all rescued as stranded pups and cannot return to the wild. You can see them above and below the water in a two-story exhibit.
6. Meet our penguins. You’ll find them in Splash Zone, our family gallery. But the penguins aren’t just for the younger set. They appeal to the kid in everyone.
7. Cruise with our sharks. The Monterey Bay Habitats exhibit gives you a close-up view of sevengill sharks and leopard sharks, as well as salmon, yellowtail and other fishes found in Monterey Bay.
While the animals and exhibits are center stage, other daily activities and programs add to the experience, too. Feeding shows, auditorium programs, “Discovery Carts” with interpreters on hand and a host of other activities are all part
of an Aquarium visit.
The Aquarium’s newly renovated restaurant Cindy’s Waterfront, and its adjoining casual cafe both offer a farmto- table dining experience created by our culinary partner, acclaimed Napa Valley chef Cindy Pawlcyn. You’ll find beautiful natural history, art and gift items in our gift and bookstores.
Admission to Monterey Bay Aquarium.
Hours of operation
Open Daily except Christmas Day (December 25).
Hours of operation
Open Daily except Christmas Day (December 25). Hours of operation vary by season.
Monterey Bay Aquarium - 886 Cannery Row, Monterey, CA 93940. On the shores of California’s beautiful Monterey Bay, 1 1 1 miles south of San Francisco; 320 miles north of Los Angeles; 4 miles to Pebble Beach; 7 miles to Carmel.
**All information requested must be supplied or booking is subject to automatic cancellation**