Highlights / General details
The gallery was named after the financier and entrepreneur Pavel Tretyakov (1832-98), who donated approximately 2000 works of Russian art from his own private collection to the city of Moscow at the end of the 19th century. These works formed the basis from which today's impressive collection grew. Without Tretyakov's extensive and generous patronage of the arts many Russian artists would not have been able to achieve the artistic success that they did and the world of Russian art would be considerably diminished. Along with his paintings, Tretyakov also generously donated his own house and surrounding buildings, which became the original premises of the gallery. These buildings were united under one neo-Russian facade, designed by the famous Russian artist Viktor Vasnetsov, and the gallery was opened to the public.
The gallery is still housed on the same site, but in an extended and recently renovated complex of buildings, and its collection now comprises the entire spectrum of Russian art. Exhibition halls feature icons (most notably an impressive collection of icons by the artist Andrei Rublyov), 18th century portraits, 19th century Realist works, 20th century Romantic, Symbolist and avant-garde canvases and displays of graphic and applied arts.
Entrance Fees; Guided Tour (Languages available: English, French, and German); Transportation (From selected hotels).
Hours of operation
Available daily from 10:00am - 7:00pm, Closed on Mondays.
Approximately 3 hours.